Mossback Geezers

Welcome old-timers and online friends.
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Networking
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:42 pm 

Hey Jeff was wondering if you could give me a recommendation or 2.
I recently to 1 gig on my Fios speed and my son is asking for a hard wire to his room.
the WIFI dose not work for his gaming. so I understand being a gamer and I know you do as well.
just about everything in my house is using the internet 4 computers 3 x boxes 2 play stations house camera system thermostat door locks lights hell I'm not sure but I think the freaking toilet may even be hooked up to it too. I Just want to run a line over to his room and give him a 4 or 8 port switch. It don't need to be wifi. I have a box of Rj-45 cat 6 i'm going to use that just the switches are killing me i'm looking cheep but good for gaming if that is even possible. im out of room on my router.

Post subject: Re: Networking
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 pm 

Hi Esty,

I recommend this one, which is 5-port: ( I have 3 of these units myself sprinkled around my house)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BVYT3/

or this one, which is 8-port (there's also a 16-port version):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPVR50A/?th=1

They are both gigabit switches. If you want something that also has wifi on it, we're talking a different beast altogether.

Those little 5-port jobs as great for running one cable to, say, a bedroom, plug in the 5-port, and now the bedroom has 4 ports, one of the ports being taken by the incoming line.

This particular one is even cheaper, but I can't really vouch for it because I've never used one. It LOOKS cheaper too, and it's made of plastic whereas the other two are metal:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-G ... Bport&th=1

Have fun shopping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:53 am 

Thank you. They were on my list also I ordered 2 of them 1 for each boy Ill make my own cables a friend gave me 500 feet of cat 6 a wile ago so im good with that im off next week Thats when Ill run the new cable and wall plates. Thanks again iv been out of the loop for a wile I still game just not as much my kids use my steam more then I do now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:16 am 

Thank you. They were on my list also I ordered 2 of them 1 for each boy Ill make my own cables a friend gave me 500 feet of cat 6 a wile ago so im good with that im off next week Thats when Ill run the new cable and wall plates. Thanks again iv been out of the loop for a wile I still game just not as much my kids use my steam more then I do now

Last edited by Esty on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 pm 

Have you tried that new CoD? Is it any good? It didn't get very good reviews, so I was wondering what you thought of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 am 

I like it, but I like it better on the xbox or ps4. It runs better but My rig is kind of old now. It almost maxes out my cpu at like 93%. so I think that is a problem. everything else I have is good the cpu is only a AMD 8100 m3 socket. I was thinking of getting a new MoBo and cpu maybe even go Intel lol
The I have a X-Box one X but I found a way to use a keyboard and mouse on it and it feels just like its on a PC its good for quick games and bringing in the truck. I do have 10 hours down time everyday. 6 of them I sleep and the trucks stops I go to I get good Internet even for gaming.

Next week I start a new run and I get home every night whoot

To tell you the truth I like playing that game with 3v3 or 4v4 not in game lobby. game Lobby is just the kind of crap that pisses you off spam nades spawn camping you know same old BS

Also I ordered 3 of them switches lol I realized I was going to be home and need room on my desk.